Wednesday, 9 January 2013

Outram Ya Hua Bak Kut Teh

I am in search of the best bak kut tehs in Singapore! After reading ladyironchef's blog, I decided to try out Ya Hua Bak Kut Teh at Outram. In addition to the the raving reviews on hungrygowhere (most of whom rated Ya Hua 4 stars), I was really disappointed after trying it out myself. Maybe it's just me!


Furthermore, there are many pictures of celebrities who have been here!



We ordered spare ribs soup, pig's kidney soup and beancurd. The soup base was too peppery and overpowering. I love peppery bak kut teh soup but this was really too peppery for my liking, almost like those powdered packet bak kut teh where you can simply find in supermarkets. 

As compared to Ng Ah Sio, Ya Hua's beancurds are better but Ng Ah Sio's bak kut teh beat Ya Hua hands down. 



The BKT soup also lacks the BKT fragrance and tasted bland in a diluted way. In all, I felt like I was drinking a diluted and peppery wannabe BKT soup. The meat of the spare ribs were not exactly tender as well. 

Ya Hua Bak Kut Teh is overrated. Will I go back again? Considering how many fans they have coupled with a considerable amount of good reviews, perhaps I will go back to have a second try and maybe my opinion will change.

Rating: 5.25/10

Address:
#01-05/07, Tanjong Pagar Complex, 7 Keppel Road

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes we wait too long to try the popular food after review by ladyironchef or hungrygowhere. Standards start to drop as there are more customers than the chef can handle. So the food may have been prepare by others when u are trying the food. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good reading stuff Rachel. Surprise to see your rating. Have you try Keppel Road? Nevertheless I must try it to believe it even though she's my aunt hahaha!

    ReplyDelete