Thursday, 17 July 2014

Review: Shirokiya at Chijmes

Are you health-conscious and beauty-conscious? Love Japanese food? Look no further than Shirokiya! 



You know a Japanese restaurant is good when you see a couple of Japanese dining there. 

Shirokiya's concept promotes good health and beauty. Do the terms collagen and hyaluronic acid sound familiar? Shirokiya's menu uses these ingredients in their food. This is my first time consuming food that contains the ingredient, hyaluronic acid, that can be found in my beauty product!

For drinks, we were recommended the calamansi series. I had the Calamansi Tea and I love how the lime gave the tea a tangy taste. The calamansi drinks come in a tall glass so it makes it worth the money ($6.90).

First up, we had the Cold Tofu Sprinkled in Salted Rice Malt (Shiokoji) Dressing ($8.80). The cold tofu tastes really healthy (probably a tad too healthy for my liking) and has an organic-like taste to it. The salted rice malt dressing does not taste salty surprisingly. On the other hand, the hishio-miso served on the side is quite salty but it complements well with the bland-tasting tofu. The tofu's texture is a pleasant surprise as it is so soft and melts in my mouth easily. I do not even have to chew on it!

The Avocado and Seafood Salad with Hyaluronic Acid Jelly ($20.80) is probably one of my favourite dishes for that night because I love sashimi and I feel that salad and sashimi make a great match. This salad has salmon roe (tiny eggs packed with flavour, enhancing the tastes of the salad), tuna, salmon, and even shredded snow crab in it! I am not a fan of the salad dressing though as I find that it disrupts the original flavours of the sashimi. What's so amazing about this salad is that it is topped with hyaluronic acid. Hyaluronic acid is an ingredient found in beauty products that keeps your skin hydrated and supple. At this point, you must be thinking what was on my mind earlier.. is that even edible then?! Well, yes it is! The hyaluronic acid has a jelly-like texture and is odorless and tasteless in case you're wondering.

Bonito Fish Cooked in Hay Straw Marinated with Ponzu Sauce ($14.00)
Every time I eat takoyaki, I will look forward to the bonito flakes sprinkled on top of my takoyaki balls. If you love the bonito flakes, you will love this! This bonito fish is prepared aburi style which means it is partially cooked around the edges and raw in the centre. Surprisingly, there is no fishy smell as I accompanied each slice of bonito fish with garlic, green onions, and raw onions. The bonito fish itself has a very robust flavour and the raw toppings neutralize the sharp flavour by a little.

Ultimate Fried Chicken Wings with Sweet Sauce ($18.80)
Their chicken wings are seasoned with white pepper. I can smell the aroma of the white pepper as this dish was laid out in front of me however the taste of the white pepper is mild relative to the smell. This dish reminds me of 4Fingers so I love it!

For the main course, we had the Kurobuta Shabu-Shabu Served in Collagen Soup ($38.80). The serving size is recommended for 2-3 people. Look at that slab of collagen! I really love my beauty supplement in the form of yummy food and I totally dig this. When the soup is being heated up, the collagen will dissolve into the soup. The soup is boiled with bones so it tastes really yummy. Even without putting any meat in it, the soup is already tasty by itself.

The set comes with a plate of leek & green onions and a plate of beautifully sliced kurobuta (black pork).

Frankly speaking, I am not a fan of pork but I couldn't help but have servings after servings for this. I even drank finish every bit of soup in my bowl.

Eat the meat with some leeks as topping and then finish up with piping hot soup. Ah~

Broiled Pressed Mackerel $15.80 
I was surprised that they serve their mackerel sushi with wasabi considering that there's no raw fish here. Their rice is mixed with Japanese pickled ginger which I detest unfortunately. The rice has a very sour taste and the mackerel is sweet and salty at the same time. The overall result is a sharp flavour which I feel you will either love or hate. Overall, this dish did not win my tastebuds over. If you'd like something to try something unique and different from the usuals and you love strong flavours, try this sushi out.

Home-made Rich Soy Milk Pudding: $4.80
Don't be mistaken by its simple name. This pudding tastes like a milder version of egg tart (to my surprise). The pudding is really soft and melts in my mouth. I like that the top of the pudding is caramelized, making it more fun to eat as well as enhancing its flavours.

The last dish we had was the Warabi-Mochi (Bracken-starched Dumpling with Brown Sugar Syrup) $7.80.

The brown sugar syrup is quite sweet so take caution in the amount you drizzle over the mochi. The mochi is unlike the typical mochis that I had tasted. It has a watery texture when I chewed on it instead of the usual chewy texture so it isn't to my liking.

If you are craving for Shabu Shabu and other types of Japanese food at the same time, you can try out Shirokiya. For the health and beauty conscious, especially the ladies, check out Shirokiya for a hearty Japanese meal!

Thank you Shirokiya and Ellie for hosting us! 


***

Shirokiya is located at Chijmes, 30 Victoria Street, #01 - 05/06.
Opening hours:
Sun - Thu and Public Holidays: 10:00 am - 11:00 pm 
Fri - Sat and Eve of Public Holidays: 10:00 am - 1:00 am

No comments:

Post a Comment